The SMART Innovation / Ignition Grant is open to faculty and researchers at SMU, Singapore universities, research institutes, as well as SMART Researchers. The Innovation Grant and support from the SMART Innovation Centre will assist faculty and their research team move their discovery from the laboratory toward the marketplace. The end point of the grant funding should be a well-defined business opportunity attractive to start-up company formation or licensing to a commercial firm.
The funding can be used to:
- De-risk the technology by developing prototypes or conducting proof of concept experiments
- Determine a go-to market strategy for the products or services being developed
About SMART Innovation Centre: The SMART Innovation Centre identifies and nurtures a broad range of emerging technologies including but not limited to biotechnology, biomedical devices, information technology, new materials, nanotechnology, and energy innovations and will act as a catalyst to create a fertile environment for teams to grow. This Grant enables your team to pursue exciting new avenues of market-driven research that will help accelerate your innovations toward commercialization.
Size of Grant
The primary grant will be the Innovation Grant of up to S$250,000. However, for projects deemed too early, where the go-to market strategy is not clearly understood or the technology is at a very early stage, an Ignition Grant of up to S$50,000 will be awarded.
- Singapore Researchers from institutes of Higher Learning in Singapore (e.g. NUS, NTU, SUTD, SIM, SMU, A*STAR Institutions, Polytechnics, CREATE Institutions, SGH, DUKE-NUS, NUH, etc.)
- Researchers who are employees of SMART MIT Faculty , the following criteria applies : An MIT faculty who does not participate in SMART can receive an Innovation Grant as long as there is a Singapore Collaborator and all (100%) of the funds remain in Singapore.
- An MIT faculty who participates in SMART can receive funding at MIT as long as there is a Singapore Collaborator. Anyone who receives SMART Innovation funds should be aware there is a preference for commercialization in Singapore.
Please click here.