Scholarship to work on your own startup during the May-Aug vacation
The Tolaram Entrepreneurship Venture Award aims to provide financial support for student entrepreneurs during the May vacation so that they can focus on their start-up ventures instead of seeking paying internships. Each award is valued at $5,000, which will cover a cash grant of $3,500 and mentorship from industry experts and/or seasoned entrepreneurs; successful candidates are required to work on their own ventures full-time for a 10-week period during the months of May to August. Shortlisted candidates may be interviewed by a panel of representatives from IIE and Tolaram.
- Applicants should be a matriculated SMU undergraduate and postgraduate at the time of application AND participation in the programme. Inbound Exchange Students from foreign universities studying at SMU are not eligible for the award
- Applicants should be students who have their own venture i.e. applicants shall be the owner, founder or co-founder of the business/start-up
- Due considerations will be given to financial needs of students
- Applicants should be committed to work on their ventures full-time for a 10-week period during the months of May to August
Mechanics of Award
- Awarded to the individual
- The individual will be matched with a mentor from IIE’s network of mentors comprising industry experts and seasoned entrepreneurs
- Milestones to be set with identified mentors
- First 50% tranche upon finalisation of milestones, and second 50% tranche upon completion of milestones
- Application period closes on 28 February
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by the Donor / his representatives by mid April
- Successful candidates will be informed by end April
If a Student Entrepreneur Internship (SEI) programme participating student is awarded the Tolaram Entrepreneurship Venture Award, he/she may credit the supervised time spent in his/her startup or business towards the mandatory internship requirement for degree fulfilment. The student will also receive a total cash grant of $3,500 and mentorship from industry experts and/or seasoned entrepreneurs.
Separate applications are required for the SEI programme and the Tolaram award. Only students who participate in the SEI programme will be eligible for the credit for degree fufilment. Information on the documents to submit are available at: OASIS>Careers & Comm Service>Internship>SEI Programme.